The Loony Lampoonist

Cap'n Hooker and the mystery of Lesbos [Incomplete]


Floundering about the cabin from the aftereffects of the Leap and realizing that I looked like a fish out of water, or more accurately a fish in a dense alphabet soup, I managed to mumble "I seem to have lost my bearings" to the Captain.

"Ah, me confused laddie, we be sailin' Sou' 70 degrees West", replied she, consulting a compass fished out from the folds of her dress.

Making a mental note that twentieth century idioms with a nautical origin would be taken in a literal sense here necessitating the careful avoidance of its usage, I asked in a nonchalant manner, "And in landlubber's terms, where exactly are we headed?"

"Lesbos."

My eyes widened. My ears heard what seemed to sound like 'Lesbos', but with the Captain's piratical accent I couldn't be too sure that I heard it correctly, so I repeated it again questioningly,

"Lesbos?"

"Aye."

"Like the island Lesbos of the Greeks?"

"Nay, I be referrin' to the homeland o' the Mermaids."

I confess I could not fathom why the homeland of the Mermaids would be called Lesbos and a question put forward to the Captain to shed light on the matter only received a cryptic reply, "Ye'll see fer yerself at nightfall".

And as if to fulfill the prophecy of that answer, when the Sun went down, there was an excited scream from the crow's nest,

"Land Ho!"

"Land Ho!", the lookout cried again, squinted, then took out his looking glass for a better view and corrected himself, "Well, sort of!"

I ran over to the port side and sure enough there was land, which was not actually land, well, sort of, resorting to the phrase the lookout had used to describe the homeland of the Mermaids. If I ask you to imagine in your head a village constructed on the sea [or was it in the sea?] entirely from the foamy produce of the sea, this would be what I was looking at now. It was a fantastic sight. A landmass that was solid enough for Captain Hooker to jump down upon from her ship and yet allow the native Mermaids to swim through it effortlessly.

I jumped in after her and landed on what seemed to be froth. Concentrated froth. I knelt down to inspect it and a head, red haired and pretty faced with eyes blue like the deep sea, popped up from the bubbly white ground, smiling. I smiled back. Hands emerged from the ground, wiping foam off the hair. "This is the secret of our lovely hair", said the creature, "You landwalkers must try it too, on your.. on the growth on your noggins", her face expressing disapproval at our windswept appearance.

"Well, we have foamy shampoos in our world too", I replied, only to be interrupted by the Captain with a boisterous laugh.

"Has it been years since I've seen ye, Coral, me beauty?"

"Arr, it sure has been, Cap'n", replied the Mermaid, emerging from the foam, her upper body human-like and the lower piscine. The tail transformed into legs in the blink of an eye and standing before us was a human, or perceivably human, female; albeit unclothed and smelling of fish.

What followed next could only be described as a strange form of a greeting ritual of two individuals who evidently must have shared a history sometime in the past. As I watched amusedly, my attention was drawn to a huge statue that seemed to be carved out of wood. Curious, I went closer to examine it and found that it was driftwood and it depicted two Mermaids in their natural form coiled around each other intimately. I now knew why this place was called Lesbos.

-------------------------------------------------

posted by foogarky @ 11:30 PM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Author

foogarky

foogarky is the pseudonym of the fictional construct who battles for supremacy with other constructed personas in the mind of a crazed individual. He describes himself as a man living in a non descript house in Rio De Janiero, Brazil with two dogs and a parakeet.

About This Blog

The Loony Lampoonist serves to parody, spoof and satirize everything that needs to be parodied, spoofed and satirized. Due to the fictional nature of this electronic journal, any anecdotes appearing here ever so often that seem to be personal in nature, would suffer from the effects of conflicting personalities, the creation of fictional events and the inclusion of non existent characters who did not make it to the big league in the author's literary works. Thus, the Loony Lampoonist is also a purgatory for characters and ideas that have missed the limelight.


Search Archives





Blog The Web

Archives

Previous Posts

Chat

Add The Loony Lampoonist to your chat list today and save the life of an endangered elk. Every add prompts us to the send a prayer to Pan, the Forest God on behalf of the elk.



Shout Box

The Loony Lampoonist Inc. is a no-hope-of-profit organisation dedicated to distorting fiction for the purposes of satire and parody. We welcome donations to cover our operation costs and ridiculously high legal expenses. All donations are tax-deductible in the Bahamas. If your tightwaddery gets the better of you, we can offer an alternative. Offer us a few words of encouragement in our Shout Box and we'll survive on that. That and oxygen.



Dedicated to


    Robert E Howard
    and his creation

    Conan the Cimmerian

Links

Fame Meter



 Subscribe in a reader

Add to Technorati Favorites